Saturday, March 26, 2011

Scripture on the Run

Memorizing scripture used to be one of those things that I thought I ought to do. When I realized that, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God….and the word became flesh.” Well, somehow that just moved it up the priority list for me. Bread of life, God was the Word, God’s word. A sharpened perspective, wisdom waiting on every page to be discerned, taught by the Holy Spirit. Disobedience is one thing but ignorance – well how much sin could we avoid in our life if we only knew!

I’m a kinesthetic learner, which is a fancy way to say I gotta do it to get it. I have to connect physical with mental to get it to sink in deep, carve it long into my aged brain cells. So when it comes to memorizing scripture, I could write it out a hundred times like writing sentences in the 3rd grade, but who has time for that?

So when it came to the task of memorizing scripture I needed to find a way to connect physical, spiritual and mental for it to soak in deep and saturate my heart. Again He calls me to the running trails to show me, teach me, remind me. Heart, mind and soul unified - Faithfully Fit.

A verse, a phrase, a word with each heel strike on the trail… Step towards Him. Breathe Him in deep. “Love is patient.” Step closer. Breathe Him in deeper. “Love is kind.” Step into His presence. Breathe in the Word. “… It is not proud.” Step. Breathe in healing, comfort and peace. “… It keeps no record of wrongs.” Steps become easier. And His words become the air in my lungs as I inhale the goodness of Christ and exhale the misery He rescued me from. Breathing in Yahweh, the Word, breathing Him in when I am gasping for air in desperation as the world tries to take hold of me, has me in its clutches. Breathe in truth, power, freedom. Wrestle with the flesh through the lungs and breathe in the victory. “Love never fails.” Never.

Will you join me? I'm memorizing 1 Corinthians 13:1-13. Maybe your verse is different. Maybe your methods are too... I'd love to hear your approach to memorizing Scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment