Sunday, February 20, 2011

Running In All Seasons

In this season of my life, with littles running around, tugging at me, using me as a human napkin, asking a million questions a millisecond, and doing their best to challenge my sanity, my “workout program” consists of grabbing what I can when I can (aside from the obstacle courses I’m privileged to endure around my house every day). It’s far less intentional than it used to be… as it should be in this blessed season. I don’t have log books anymore or highlight races I’m training for, and I certainly don’t clock my runs anymore. For me, I can’t do it all so I don’t try – I just try to enjoy the moments I’m given. I mean God gave me these precious littles for such a short time. Running can wait if it needs to. But it doesn’t always need to if I can accept that running in this season may not look the same as previous or upcoming ones. As a mom, I consider it my responsibility to teach my kids about being healthy, taking care of God’s temple. So lately, I’ve been taking them along. Here’s what running looks like for me, in this season.

My daughter is six, and she’s fast… period. When she builds her endurance, I won’t be able to keep up. She loves to run and has been running laps in our house since she was two. When we go outside to play, anywhere, she runs… fast, forever, talking the whole way. My kinda girl! So, she comes on foot. We don’t go for a 3 mile run… we play tag or try to stomp each others shadows. The expert runners call this a fartlek run. (I promise – it has nothing to do with gas.) I love that my daughter has no idea what it means - to her we’re just having the time of our life, together time, outdoor time.

My son is four and isn’t really a runner. He is getting faster but shows no sign of a natural runner’s gait like my daughter. He hasn’t been running since he was two, he’s been riding his bike since then. So, he comes on wheels. And he’s fast, really fast. He can’t go for 3 miles either, but he gives me a good, unofficial pace workout.

Rarely, I go running by myself. Sometimes, I go with you lovely ladies. And often, a little girl is running beside me with a wide grin and a noisy stride while her brother, Ironman, is on wheels ahead of us announcing his intentions to anyone who stands in our way. And you know something? I wouldn’t have it any other way. No race training can compare to this.

Some of you are in the same season I am, and some are in a variety of other seasons. Make it work for you by keeping your season of life in perspective. We’re maintaining His temple, not trying to attain some obscure goal that has no eternal value. There are ways you can participate in your health, even when your season of life does not allow you to hit the trails as often as you’d like. Here are some more ideas for the challenging seasons of life…

All seasons:
:: Proper nutrition.
:: Adequate rest.
:: Water. Water. Water.
:: Simple stretches while you are waiting for the microwave to beep, or your son to get dressed, or your husband to kill the spider, or…

Career-building season:
:: Take an exercise ball to work and use it as a chair. This builds great balance and core muscle strength and creates a great conversation piece that could lead to sharing the Gospel message.
:: Take advantage of conference calls. Unless it’s a video call, stretch, stand up, walk around – this actually helps you remember what was said and sound alert.
:: Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Yes! 36 flights if you need to!
:: If you have a gym near your office, pack a lunch and choose to workout at lunchtime and eat (a healthy, nutritious meal) at your desk.

Children too young to participate in activity with you:
:: Strap ‘em in a baby jogger.
:: Go for walks with your littles. Take a different path every time. Children love to explore the outdoors – no matter the temps. So dress for the occasion and get out there. Go for little “hikes”. Pack in a picnic. Collect nature objects. Come home and make a nature book. It won’t even feel like exercise!
:: Gym membership with childcare.
:: Fly a kite – you have to run for it to take off.
:: DVDs for mom while littles are napping – Pilates, yoga, whatever suits your fancy.
:: DVDs for mom using baby.
:: Jump rope, hoola hoop – your kids will love watching mommy do these silly things and they’ll probably want to try. Kids and hoola hoops are hours of entertainment!
:: Dance with your kids
:: Spin your kids
:: Take them “swimming”. Now that’s a workout! If you have more than one that can’t swim, tie noodles around them (or put 'em in a floatie) and they just became your water weights.
:: Start teaching them to play catch or soccer… my kids keep me running all over trying to catch their throws and chase down their kicks.
:: Trade childcare with a friend. You watch her littles while you hit the trails and vice versa.
:: Wake early before hubby leaves for work or go after he gets home – get into a routine, make it a habit, make it your time with God.

Empty-nester season:
:: I gotta be honest here… I have no idea – this is the season I dream about but I know all seasons offer their challenges. Maybe this is an opportunity to reconnect with your spouse out on the trails. Maybe try a new sport or activity together. Or maybe you can stay connected with your children through running/activity.

More ideas? What do you do?

1 comment:

  1. I am so touched by this statement, "Some of you are in the same season I am, and some are in a variety of other seasons. Make it work for you by keeping your season of life in perspective."

    Kids do run fast! They have that spurt of energy. Working out with them does help create bonding moments. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete